THE BEST STAFF AROUND
Click on a staff member below to read their bio.
Dr. Benjamin Mayer, DODr. Benjamin Mayer is a board certified Osteopathic Family Physician who is eager to help all patients find their “best” health. Well-trained in manual therapy, he uses his skills and medical knowledge to help patients find the sources of their problems, whether acute or chronic. Being a true outdoorsman, Dr. Mayer has enjoyed establishing his young family in the mountains of Asheville and looks forward to developing deep, long lasting friendships with each and every patient he is privileged to see. Dr. Mayer is currently accepting new patients.
Stanley Hamaker, MDDr. Hamaker attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill for college and medical school. He completed a residency program in family medicine outside Pittsburgh, PA in 1985. He then worked in a rural area in southern West Virginia for 18 years and has worked at several locations in Asheville since moving here in 2003. He joined the team at Vickery Family Medicine in February 2016. He has been married for almost 40 years and has 4 children who live in the area. He enjoys working in his yard and participating in any sport he can still manage to play.
Cullen Covington-Hicks, PACullen is a North Carolina native who moved to Asheville 16 years ago after obtaining her degree from the University of Florida. She also has a Masters in Counseling Psychology from the University of North Florida. She has worked extensively in Internal Medicine and Family Practice. She is happy to be back in NC and enjoys trail running, playing with her dog Tucker, and choral singing. She is married and has a grandson who lives in TN with his parents.
Joshua Klaaren, PAJoshua Klaaren received his Physician Assistant certificate and MHS from Duke University School of Medicine in 1995. He began Family Practice work in Asheville in 1995 and lives here with his children. During his spare time, Josh enjoys outdoor recreation and building things in his shop.
Jennifer Winn, PAJennifer is originally from Greenville, SC. She graduated from the College of Charleston in 1995 with a BS in Physical Education/ Exercise Physiology. She found her love of medicine at UNC Chapel Hill where she worked as a lab technician. She was very fortunate to be accepted into the Physician Assistant program at George Washington University and graduated in 2007. She greatly enjoys all aspects of patient care and is passionate about healthy living. In my free time, she loves spending time with her husband and young kids. They love to bike, swim, and play outside. She is an avid cyclist and enjoy yoga as well.
Emily Mahowald, FNPEmily, who has been with Vickery Family since 2015, graduated from Warren Wilson College with a degree in Economics and Human Studies. She went on to study nursing at Western Carolina University and then graduated from the Family Nurse Practitioner program at East Tennessee State University. She has two young sons and enjoys kayaking, mountain biking, running, and playing Legos with her boys.
Jan O’Hara, WHNPJan received her BS in Biology and Ecology from Emory University in 1994. She completed her Master’s in the Science of Nursing in 1999 at Vanderbilt University. Jan has worked in a variety of settings including spending one year doing volunteer work in Honduras. Jan and her family have lived in Asheville since 2004. She enjoys trail running, outdoor activities and live music.
Margarita GonzalezMargarita coordinates our direct care program. A graduate of Texas A&M University, she’s lived in Asheville since 2002. She is a doting aunt to two extraordinary nieces and enjoys gardening, cooking, watching baseball and spending time outside. She has served on the Development Council of the Western Carolina Medical Society since 2015 and is also active in local politics.
- Board-certified in Family Medicine
- Certified as a Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH)
- A health delivery and consulting organization providing direct primary care to individuals and employers
- Medical Director for the Biltmore Company
- Medical Consultant for CooperRiis Healing Community
- Preceptor for UNC-Chapel Hill Medical School Department of Family Medicine resident program
- Teaching site for MAHEC Minority Mentoring program
- Maintains active privileges at Mission Hospital
- Member of the Association Board of the Western Carolina Medical Society; served as President in 2014
Awards and Honors:
- Member, Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Honor Society
- Three-time Best of WNC Best Family Physician (Mountain Express)
- Angie’s List Super Service Award 2011-2014, indicating excellence in customer service
- Asheville Chamber of Commerce Small Business of the Month, October 2015
- Speaker, World Congress Executive Conference for Onsite Healthcare (hosted by National Association of Worksite Health Centers), 2014, Orlando, FL
- Speaker, Empowering Self-Care (hosted by Crescent Health Solutions), 2015, Asheville, NC
- Co-chair, Moving Healthcare Upstream (initiative of Asheville Chamber of Commerce Economic Council) 2013-present